Winter Skin Care Tips
Keep your skin moist, healthy and glowing during the winter months
The cold, clear days of winter can make it difficult to keep your skin hydrated and looking beautiful. Winter weather can cause flaking, cracking and even skin that becomes inflamed. In addition to the harsh outdoor weather, turning on the heat indoors can make your skin feel dry and itchy. Everyone, especially people with naturally dry skin, should take care to give their skin the extra TLC and pampering it needs during the winter months.
Dry skin is very common and can happen to anyone at any age. If you have dry skin, you are likely to experience rough skin, flaking skin, chapped skin, itching, cracks in the skin (which can even bleed) and a feeling of tightness. When cracks appear in dry skin, germs are more likely to get inside and cause an infection that can lead to inflammation.
Enjoy skin soft and supple skin this winter
You don't have to settle for winter skin that is dry, chapped and uncomfortable. With these winter skin care tips, you can have soft, glowing skin even during the coldest months.
- Moisturize! — Moisturizers that are oil-based rather than water-based form a protective seal on the skin that retains moisture. Moisturize frequently during the day to avoid dry, cracking skin. Using a lip balm with an adequate SFP helps to keep your lips from getting dry and chapped.
- Take warm, short baths or showers — Nothing feels better than a steaming bath after being out in the cold, but hot water removes natural oils that lubricate the skin more quickly. Keep your daily bath or shower short — about 10 minutes or less — and moisturize immediately afterward to prevent too much water in your skin from evaporating.
- Keep using sunscreen — Just because the days are shorter and the air is cold doesn't mean that the sun can't damage your skin during winter. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to exposed skin, such as the face and hands, just as you would during the summer to protect yourself the harmful effects of UV rays. Some products are available that combine a sunscreen and moisturizer.
- Use a humidifier — The air inside our homes and offices can become very dry during the winter. Running a humidifier adds moisture to the air and helps to keep your skin from drying out.
- Get help from an expert — Are you sure that you are using the right skin care regimen for your skin type? Since everyone's skin is unique, skin care experts can help you find the best solutions for maintaining healthy, beautiful skin year-round.